Pages

Popular Posts

Thursday 9 August 2012

Gold

Katie Taylor got gold today at the Olympics!  If you had told me I would get excited about boxing one day, I would not have believed you!  But in this case, I was really excited...
I taught Katie for 6 months in my first job in Ireland - as her French teacher in St Killian's school in Bray. I was told there was a boxer in my class, who also played football for Ireland.  I certainly didn't expect the quiet and hard working girl at the side of the room to be that girl!  The dedication needed to get to the top and stay there for 4 consecutive world championships was already evident in her approach to her school work - she was always at the top of the class.  This was partly ability, but certainly also pure hard work. 

I don't necessarily like seeing 2 women punching each other, but it's exciting to see someone with whom you have had a connection go on to achieve an Olympic gold medal. It's great to see such an inspiring young woman with such a strong faith be the best at what she can be and choose to give God the glory at every step.

I hope she can cling to this with the offers that will come pouring in and the media attention.  She seems to be so well grounded that I feel she is well equipped to stand up for what she believes in and stay true to herself. Time will tell - for now: gold for Katie and the whole country is so proud and exhilarated!

No comments:

Post a Comment