Pages

Popular Posts

Saturday 11 August 2012

Bag Packing

This morning I spent 2 hours packing bags in SuperValu.  What fun.

Actually, it wasn't that bad.  A bit dull at times. Some people were really grateful for the offer of help, others were nearly offended to be asked! There were no hilarious or scandalous things purchased on my watch, mostly just normal food for the weekend.  And a lot of Irish York Cabbage.  No idea.

The most interesting thing that happened was when a woman handed me her bag to pack her shopping into and it already contained a vegetable package that she had clearly forgotten to put through the till with the rest of her groceries.  What is the bag packer etiquette at this point?  Abet a shoplifter in the hope that she will pop a few coins in the collection box or cry 'thief!' at the top of your lungs and cause a scene? Or just waggle your eyebrows at the girl on the till?  I decided to do: nothing! I think the lady made a genuine error and I decided to just let it go!
So that was the most interesting thing that happened: woman accidentally steals vegetables. 

We were there to collect money for the new classrooms being built for Matthew's school.  The government funding and approval has come in for these, but I guess doesn't cover the full cost. I could turn this into a tirade about the lack of proper funding to education and the falsely named 'free education'. But in the current economic climate I just don't see the point - the money simply isn't there.

What I can have a mini rant about is that so few parents turned up. I have it on good authority that six non PTA parents helped out over 3 days. Six! From a school of 240 kids!  I guess you are choosing from the parents of 180 kids if you knock off the class just left and the one not yet started. And of course many people are away for various weeks over the summer.  Still - six? 
At least when I whine and moan about the lack of facilities over the next year, I will be fully entitled to do so...

No comments:

Post a Comment