Pages

Popular Posts

Saturday 21 July 2012

Time Spent

This morning Matthew was pestering me to play Connect 4 with him.

I had laundry to fold, the kitchen was a bit of a mess, I haven't been feeling all that well and I had to pack a bag to take with us for a day in Dublin.

So, I took a deep breath.  And said yes. 

I have been trying to prioritise just spending time with the boys when they ask me to play with them. I guess it's about being intentional in how I choose to be with them.  Of course there are times when I simply can't drop everything and play, but there are definitely many times when I can and have in the past chosen not to. But realistically, when Matthew remembers his childhood, will he look back fondly on his clean clothes and how the kitchen was always tidy?  Unlikely.  This is not what childhood memories are made of!  I think he might remember this morning though.  I was a tiny bit bored at times; Connect 4 is not especially thrilling.  But I am pleased we played it.

The trick is to catch this thought process the next time one of them asks me for time when I am feeling that other things are important and balancing all that I have to do.

I wonder how far I will take this? I'll be interested to see Andrew's face the first time he comes home from work when absolutely no dinner has been planned, bought or cooked and the house is a tip.But hey, the boys will have a memory of a great day, so that's good enough., right?  We'll see!

No comments:

Post a Comment